Swim Alberta Association (SNC) Call for Nominations for the
Swim Alberta Board of Directors
Swim Alberta Association (SNC) is seeking nominations for the Board of Directors of Swim Alberta. Swim Alberta is the governing body for competitive swimming in the province of Alberta. We are seeking qualified individuals who are passionate about the mandate of Swim Alberta, can embrace our values of excellence, integrity, innovation and collaboration and are looking for a rewarding volunteer role with a progressive provincial sport organization.
Nominees must be willing to serve on the Board for a minimum of 2 years (September 2017 – September 2019). The following attributes are required:
- Visionary – able to see Swim Alberta in broad terms as part of the sport sector
- Strategic – able to contribute to the development and execution of Swim Alberta’s strategic plans
- Communication skills – ability to share ideas and influence others
- Strong understanding of the sport system – including an understanding of the sport of swimming and the work that takes place at the provincial level
- Attitude of appreciative inquiry
- Clear understanding of the role of governance vs operational aspects of the organization.
- Previous board experience
For this upcoming term, Swim Alberta is also seeking individuals who have specific skills in:
- Human Resources
- Financial Management
Nominations must be received by 4:30 pm MDT, August 18th, 2017. Please submit a cover letter outlining the attributes above and a current resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of David de Vlieger, Nominations Chair.
- Expression of Interest/Nominations received by August 18th, 2017
- Meetings with prospective board candidates conducted by August 30th, 2017
- Presentation of the recommended nominations at the Annual General Meeting on September 30th, 2017
Board Member Role Description (attached). Links to Strategic Plan and Bylaws can be found on the Swim Alberta website: http://www.swimalberta.ca/about/laws-and-policies/sites/default/files/uploads/News/call_for_nominations_2017_sab_-_july_28_2017.pdf
BOARD MEMBER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Link to Mission:
Govern, lead and support competitive swimming. Members of the board continually inspire others to be involved. They also are leaders in sport and in the community with a commitment towards providing excellence at all levels of the organization.
Member of the Board
Board of Directors (President)
As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective governance of Swim Alberta.
- Commit to the mission and work of Swim Alberta
- Serve as knowledge centre in the areas of board governance, the not-for-profit sector, finance, human resources, information technology, advocacy, or fund development
- Participate in the development of the Swim Alberta Strategic Plan and provide strategic oversight to Swim Alberta
- Approve the Swim Alberta Budget on an annual basis and provide fiduciary oversight to Swim Alberta
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Attend annual general meeting, annual aquatic conference and other membership meetings.
- Serve on a committee of the board
- Support of special events
- Promote the organization in the community
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to view the world from a forest, rather than a tree, perspective
- Understanding of Swim Alberta and the sport sector
5 hours per month for 2 years for Board responsibilities. Additional time may be required for other volunteer roles taken on during term of Board service.
Self and by the Board, annually.