Call for Nominations for the Swim Alberta Board of Directors – 2021-2024
Nominations invited by 4:30 pm MDT, Friday August 13, 2021.
Swim Alberta is the governing body for competitive swimming in the province of Alberta with the vision of “Every swimmer has the opportunity to reach their full potential” and a mission to “govern, lead and support competitive swimming”.
We are currently seeking nominations for the Swim Alberta Board of Directors from individuals who are passionate about the sport of swimming, can embrace our values of excellence, integrity, innovation and collaboration; and are looking for a rewarding volunteer role with a progressive provincial sport organization.
#whywedowhatwedo Check out the video that tells the story of Swim Alberta’s WHY
What we are looking for?
Nominees must be willing to serve voluntarily on the Board for a minimum of 3 years: October 2021 – 2024 AGM (Fall 2024).
We are seeking nominees who:
- are innovative, creative, and can ‘think outside the box’;
- ideally possess skills in one of the areas of: Human Resources; Legal; Public-Sector, New Media, Marketing or Public/Social Engagement;
- are strong advocates for swimming from the grass root level through to elite performance; and,
- contribute, challenge and will help shape the future agenda of swimming in the province.
Demonstration of the following attributes would be advantageous:
- Visionary – able to see Swim Alberta in broad terms as part of the sport sector and visualize 12 – 15 years ahead;
- Strategic – able to contribute to the development and execution of Swim Alberta’s strategic plans;
- Communication skills – ability to share ideas and influence others in a respectful manner;
- Appreciation of a different sport – able to offer insight of a different sport and the system in which it operates in shaping the future swimming system across our province;
- Commitment to continuous learning and personal development;
- Clear understanding of the role of governance vs operational aspects of the organization; and,
- Previous board-related or committee-based experience.
Nominees must meet all criteria as outlined in the Swim Alberta Board Eligibility and Determination Policy (link attached below).
What we can offer you?
For those who are voted onto the Board of Directors by our members, you will benefit from:
- Influencing and shaping swimming at the provincial level;
- Widening your network and demonstrating collaboration at a board-level;
- Expanding your knowledge and developing your personal attributes;
- Taking pride in the achievements of Swim Alberta as a result of your personal contribution and efforts.
Nominations must be received by 4:30 pm MDT, Friday 13 August 2021.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter stating why you believe you are a suitable nominee for the Board of Directors; and how you can add value to the Swim Alberta Board,
- A current resume, along with the name, email and phone number of at least two references who could support your nomination.
Nomination applications can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Clare Hickson, Nominations Committee Chair.
- Expression of Interest/Nominations received by 13 August 2021;
- Meetings with prospective board nominees conducted by 12 September 2021;
- Presentation of the recommended nominations at the Annual General Meeting at currently planned for October 6th, 2021.
- Board Member Role Description (attached).
- Link to Swim Alberta Board Eligibility and Determination Policy: LINK
- Links to Strategic Plan and Bylaws can be found on the Swim Alberta website: LINK
BOARD MEMBER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Link to Mission:
Govern, lead and support competitive swimming. Members of the board continually inspire others to be involved. They also are leaders in sport and in the community with a commitment towards providing excellence at all levels of the organization.
Member of the Board
Board of Directors (President)
As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective governance of Swim Alberta.
- Commit to the mission and work of Swim Alberta
- Serve as knowledge centre in the areas of board governance, the not-for-profit sector, finance, human resources, information technology, advocacy, or fund development
- Participate in the development of the Swim Alberta Strategic Plan and provide strategic oversight to Swim Alberta
- Approve the Swim Alberta Budget on an annual basis and provide fiduciary oversight to Swim Alberta
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Attend annual general meeting, annual aquatic conference and other membership meetings.
- Serve on a committee of the board
- Support of special events
- Promote the organization in the community
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to view the world from a forest, rather than a tree, perspective
- Understanding of Swim Alberta and the sport sector
5 hours per month for 3 years for Board responsibilities. Additional time may be required for other volunteer roles taken on during term of Board service.
Self and by the Board, annually.