Coordinator, Sport Development
Reports to: Director, Sport Development
Location: Edmonton, Alberta (preferred)
Job Type: Full-Time Employee
Start Date: Immediately
ABOUT SWIM ALBERTA:
As the provincial governing body for competitive swimming in Alberta, Swim Alberta’s mission is to govern, lead, and support Alberta’s competitive swimming community. Our vision is to help give every swimmer the opportunity to reach their full potential. Our umbrella of supervision includes clubs and swimmers registered with Swimming Canada (year-round) and the Alberta Summer Swimming Association, equaling a total of 11,000 members across competitive, pre- competitive and masters swimming.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This role directly relates to the mission of Swim Alberta through the provision of programming and administrative support in the areas of athlete programming and services to our membership, with a specific focus on the I Can Swim Program, provincial competitions, and supporting officials.
- Related Degree or Diploma and 1 – 2 years of related
- An understanding of the Canadian sport system and previous experience working within
- A background in competitive swimming (athlete, coach, official, volunteer) considered an asset.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, One Drive).
SKILL SETS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work collaboratively with others toward common goals.
- Strong desire to promote and exemplify the values of Swim Alberta – Excellence, Integrity, Innovation, and Collaboration.
- Skill sets include: program planning, development and implementation, problem solving, organizational skills including file sharing and storing in shared cloud systems, analyzing, communication – both written and verbal, learning facilitator and/or NCCP training delivery, and presentation/facilitation skills.
I Can Swim Coordination
- Ensure MOU’s and agreements are in place with Clubs, Teachers, Learning Facilitators (LF’s) and Coach Evaluators (CE’s) running the I Can Swim Program.
- Promotion of I Can Swim Program with an eye to growing the program with both year-round and summer club programs across the province.
- Ongoing liaison with clubs to support program delivery, implementation, and evaluation.
- Supporting Learning Facilitators and Coach Evaluators through the appropriate pathways, including onboarding of LF’s and CE’s, overseeing course requirements, and evaluations.
- Coordinating Teacher Training, the setting up and running of courses, following up with certification and certification maintenance.
- Working with the Manager of Membership Services to ensure Teachers are compliant with Swim Alberta and Swimming Canada policies.
- In conjunction with the Sport Development Directors’ ongoing evaluation and enhancements to the I Can Swim Program.
- In conjunction with the Sport Development Director, provide support and planning for provincial championship meets including but not limited to; booking facilities, creating and updating Hy-Tek competition and entry files, communication, processing entries, receiving entry fees, placement/assignment of key officials, ordering awards, and working with host clubs.
- Support the listing and communication of the provincial competition calendar.
- Responsible for competition sanctioning process including, identification of potential competition conflicts, listing of competitions, reviewing, and approving competition sanction requests.
- Support the Sport Development Director with coordination and support with the operations of the Fundamentals circuit as well as any other grassroots competition series supported by Swim Alberta.
Technical Program Planning and Implementation Support
- Produce and maintain provincial record certificates.
- Compile statistics on performance of athletes and programs of the organization.
- Provide support to sanctioning of competitions through the review of sanction applications and sanctioning of competitions within the Competition Sanctioning Policy in conjunction with the Sport Development Director.
- Support the implementation and following up on criteria for individual and program funding
Games – Alberta Summer Games
- Fill the role and duties of Sport Coordinator for the Alberta Summer Games.
- In conjunction with the Sport Development Director, complete application to participate and support the development and submission of the technical package.
- Coordinate Zone Trials for the games, identify and work with zone representatives and coaches.
- Promotion of games participation via email and Swim Alberta website.
- Evaluation of games providing a report and recommendations to Sport Development Director and Performance Technical Director.
- Provide support in the tracking and planning of referee development.
- Support in the recruitment, assignment, publication of the provincial official’s roster.
- Coordinate clinics (spring & fall) including both in person and self-directed for officials.
- Provide coordination in the review and development of official’s documentation and resources.
- In conjunction with the Sport Development Director, liaise with the Alberta Officials Committee (AOC) to provide support to projects and programs of the AOC as it pertains to official’s education and development – including a Club Officials Chair Orientation.
Swim for Life
- Provide support to the Sport Development Director in leading the overall operations of the Masters committee
- Masters coordination including but not limited to; liaise with the Master Committee to ensure feedback from the community is included in, publishing and communication of the masters competition schedule, publishing and communication of the provincial competition package, communication of any masters competitions and programs including national programs.
- Provide ongoing administrative support to both the Sport Development Directors and the Executive Director including but not limited to ; Booking of meetings, Assisting with the preparation of reports, compilation of materials for meetings and note-taking/minute taking
- Provide ongoing support to members through emails phone calls and follow-up on inquiries that come into the office.
- Other duties as assigned
This is a permanent full-time Edmonton-based position and includes a full benefits package including a RRSP contribution program. Swim Alberta’s office is located at the Percy Page Centre in Edmonton, where staff work in a hybrid office and work from home schedule. This position requires some travel within Alberta as well as some evenings and weekends to support our volunteer membership and events.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only qualified candidates will be contacted and invited to an interview. Start date will be confirmed with the candidate.
Candidates can email applications directly to email@example.com by September 23, 2022.
Please indicate “Coordinator Sport Development” in both the subject line of your email and your covering letter.